Tuesday, January 30, 2024

INTERVIEW MASTER

The release of the strong new Master album "Saints Dispelled" provided a good opportunity to talk to Paul Speckmann about the new release as well as other topics.

-----------------------------

Hello Paul, how are you doing with the new record, is it a kind of relief when a work sees the light of day, people can buy it and you see the reactions? Or are you already totally experienced after all these years, so that it’s just routine? 

Sure it’s a relief when it’s finally released, considering the album was recorded nearly a year ago! Nothing is routine in the world of recording, it’s by far one of the best things in the world! We always have a blast recording! It’s killer to get your thoughts and ideas out on the market! It gives people a chance to read your thoughts on what’s happening in the crazy world around us at this moment. I use this platform to share my thoughts and ideas with the world, obviously not everyone is going to agree with all of them, but at least with a recording contract, it gives you a chance to put things out there!  

“Saints Dispelled” offers awesome classical Master-stuff, I particularly like the bonus track from the new album, "Alienation of insanity", which is quite a bit slower and heavier. But I think it goes well with Master, it brings a good depth to the music. What do you think of the track?

Let’s face it as with many, but not all Master records, I wrote the entire record as with the previous release Vindictive Miscreant. When writing songs on the acoustic guitar, ideas seem to pop in my head from time to time, and these become the track for the album. I brought the final track of the album to rehearsal and Alex put this killer effect on the intro to the track, and we went with it. I realized the track was incredibly long, but this never bothers me. If a song makes sense and it is quite long, it never bothers me as long as it makes some sort of sense! I have to smile because some critics absolutely hate the song, hell even the label boss said the track wasn’t as heavy as the rest of the album, therefore a bonus track. I disagree. I think it’s a crushing track!

I've read in various interviews that slowing down is a theme for you, that you live a relaxed life of hiking, fitness and mushroom hunting away from Master. Can you tell us about any special places in your home region in the Czech Republic that are good for hiking? 

Sure, in South Morava where I live I visit several places such as Bzenec, or Salaš, the closest place is about 10 minutes by car to be honest. But, there are many places throughout the country to visit, but I stick to a certain number of places, it’s enough for me of course! What I like most about the search for mushrooms is the tranquility it involves, and many times I travel in the morning or early afternoon alone and I am entirely alone, as most people are working a day job! 

I've only been to the Czech Republic once, unfortunately, and that was in Klattau or Klatovy, as it's called in Czech, where we looked at some really old corpses in a crypt, which made a lasting impression on my daughter, haha. Quite a death metal excursion, so to speak.… 

Yes, there are many historical sites here to visit if this is what you seek! An abundance of castles are also every where as well as mass graveyards! 

Let's move on to unpleasant topics: how is the Czech Republic dealing with the war in Ukraine and its relationship with Russia? It's a "funny" coincidence that your home country of origin, the USA, and your current place of residence, the Czech Republic, were the first two countries to be put on Russia's list of "unfriendly states". 

I am not really sure why the countries are unfriendly, unless you speak of the money and the arms the USA continually sends to Ukraine to supply the troops. Czech has accepted many Ukrainians into the country, I suppose this must infuriate the Russians. But in all honesty war sucks in any place, and how can anyone support the cause of death! Throughout history death and torture repeat! 

Do you actually listen to death metal yourself? I read somewhere that it doesn't appeal to you as a listener or that you're not that into the subject matter. What are your favorite records, what have you discovered recently? 

No, I don’t follow the death metal scene, I listen to old heavy metal and rock bands! But it is cool that new bands are evolving to keep the scene alive, I would hate to see metal disappear! 

The cover for the new album is absolutely outstanding and, in my opinion, the best artwork Master have ever had. Can you understand my opinion? 

Richard Schouten is and always has been a great artist to work with, always a pleasure working with him! I saw this killer exhibition from Richard called OMNIA MORS AEQUAT! After seeing this series of paintings, I had to a have a mummy for the cover of my new release! Richard sent a few sketches and we went from there, it was all his work, and yes I am pleased with the outcome! 

And while we're on the subject of visual aspects, what was the reason for not using the classic Master logo on "The human machine" on the first edition? 

A bit of a silly question, I suppose you’d have to ask the artist Eliran Kantor, why he put a silly rendition of the logo on it? 

With "Underground Survivor" you published this illustrated book with anecdotes and stories. But hadn't you started writing an autobiography? If so, is there any chance that it will be published one day? 

Some day it shall be released, there is no hurry in my humble opinion!

The last words are yours! Here you can get rid of everything you have left to say… 

If you wish to support the underdog, you can find info at speckmetal.net. As always there is nothing like the original!