Thursday, April 9, 2020

INTERVIEW YOTH IRIA

The release of YOTH IRIA's first release (review here) was the perfect reason to talk to one of the legends of the world wide metal scene, namely Jim Mutilator, mostly known for his work with the mighty Rotting Christ and Varathron. By the way, allow me to note that I remember reading my first Rotting Christ-interview in Italian extreme metal Magazine Grind Zone (which published a German edition for a short period) back in 1995. So, 25 years later I myself conduct an interview with Jim, so circles are closing once more.   

First of all I hope you are doing well in this unordinary times. How‘s the situation in Greece concerning the corona-virus ? How does it affect peoples daily life ? What about today's economical situation after the beginning of the financial crisis in 2010 ? Is there a lot of fear, that Corona will throw the Greek economy back to earlier state again ?

At the moment I'm back at my village sided in the Pindos mountains and I keep myself as isolated as I really can. At least the situation in Greece is quite under control compared to other European countries. Very few people have died and all of them were aged over 70, but of course all the people have the right to live the longest. Of course the daily life has been totally different as there are limits on all activities and you can go out only for specific reasons like buying foods, medicines, gas....
The economical situation is still bad and I think after this unexpected pandemic the economy will go even worse. 


Please tell us what were the reasons for founding YOTH IRIA ? How did you find the other more or less prominent band members - please introduce the band as well ? What does the name YOTH IRIA mean?

The reason was that I couldn't live without playing music. Although firstly I'm a metal fan, not creating my own music was very difficult for my inner character.
Actually Yoth Iria is just me and The Magus. Of course there are plans for a permanent line up but we will take care of it after this virus comes to an end.
As for the name it's something like my personal guardian, something between good and evil.

How much Rotting Christ is still in YOTH IRIA ? I think YOTH IRIA is still black metal but focuses more on the heavy metal side, so to say more „metal“ than „black“. What do you think ?

I really can't judge how my music sounds. I'm writing songs the way I'm feeling. Obviously some Rotting Christ - influences could be heard but it's not by purpose, it just happened as my way to create music doesn't change since my Rotting Christ days.

I think the reactions from all over the world were mostly very positive, if not even euphoric ? How much affects you feedback in general, be it positive or negative ?

I think that most of the people that listened to our EP like it. To be honest I don't expect that I'm here to bring up something new or something that was never heard before. Nowadays fans have listened to everything and there are a lot better and talented musicians than me but my reason to come back is that I also have a small right in this called metal music. So I'm here to sell my soul for metal and I really can accept even some negative feedback. 



In the beginning, the EP was released on cassette and vinyl by Repulsive Echo Records, now there is a CD-version as well, published by the Cult Never Dies. Is this the result of the really good reactions from the metal community and because of a high demand for a CD ? Why was there no CD planned in the beginning ?

You are right. In the beginning it was meant to be only a promo tape and 12inch release. But after we received some CD requests we decided to go with it. So there is a European MCD-digipak version from the almighty Cult Never Dies and one more for South America from Hammer of Damnation.

Do you maybe agree to the following theory, that the combination of the specific weather and the still visible ancient ruins and Greeks past in general creates an special atmosphere which results in the unique mystical Greek sound ? The Norwegian Sound fits better in the cold north as well for example I think.

I totally agree with it. The whole environment has a big effect on music. The original Greek scene has a totally different sound from the one of our northern brothers. Of course we are all onto the left path of the metal music but our sound is really different. I call it more warm and occult whether Scandinavian bands are more fast, cold and evil.

Because Systematic Desensitization Zine is a German magazine I’m interested in your opinion about German metal bands in general and German black metal in particular ?

Look, German is a big school and Bands such as Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, Deathrow, Poison, Accept have a big influence on me and are included in all my time faves list. Also in the past I was in contact with great German bands like Ungod, Nargaroth etc. but still I like tons more bands such as Dark Fortress, Bethlehem, Desaster, Dorn, Empyrium, Falkenbach (big love), Nagelfar, Agathodaimon, Moonblood, Necros Christos and so on. So I think you have one of the best scenes in the world. 


What can you tell us about today’s Greek Scene,some news or your thoughts in general, maybe besides the big names as well. Fist of all, what about Necromantia ? Do you know HOR and Sulferon from your country, which prefer to play a more scandinavian sound ? What about Deviser and Zemial or Elysian Fields, Kawir, Varathron? Do you know Nekrarchon, who did a great album on german FDA Records but ceased to exist I think ? Do you like Human Serpent ? And can you recommend some other more or less unknown bands ?

Yeah, there is a really remarkable scene here and I'm really excited about this. I see a lot of young people who are really interested in making good black metal music and they are really dedicated.
Necromantia is going to have out a last offer and then they split up and that's The Magus final decision after Baron Blood's loss.
Of course I know HOR and Sulferon and even they sound more Scandinavian they are still playing great music.


As for Deviser, Zemial, Elysian fields - they belong to the early Greek black metal movement and always have my respect. Kawir is a band that recently honored me by inviting me to play with them a cover of "Forest of N'Gai" during "Darkness guides us" - festival at Glasgow. Varathron is a very important part of my life as it was me with Stephen and Captain Death that formed the band back in 1988.
To be honest I don't know Nekrarchon but thanks to you I discovered a very interesting band.
Yeah, I also know Human Serpent and I really like them.

I can recommend some very good new Greek bands like Funeral Storm, Synteleia, Serpent Noir, Sorgelig, Yovel Caedes Cruenta, Primal Cult etc. There are a lot more good bands but I can't remind myself of all of them.

As an ex-owner of a record shop, what do you think about the development of the music industry in general and the metal scene in particular, especially regarding sales figures etc. ?

I'm away from music industry for many years so I can't have a clear answer about the situation today. I think that the internet has reduced the Sales very much in physical formats like vinyl or CD but from the other side  the internet helps bands to make their music easier available to the audience.

I heard that not long ago a Rotting Christ concert in Greece was cancelled due to religious reasons or better said some peple were offended by the band‘s name and maybe their misinterpretations - as it happened with Megadeth and Rotting Christ as well some years ago if I remember correct. This is really sad as if we don’t live in the middle ages. Of course the band name was or maybe is perfect for a black metal band and gained some attention, but did you or other members sometimes wish you had chosen a less offensive band name back in the days ?

You are totally right. Actually Rotting Christ has faced a lot of Troubles during all these years. It's totally unacceptable that in 2020 peoples fanaticism cancels artistic events. If you disagree with something just don't be into it. Maybe if I go today for a band name I wouldn't choose something like that but now it's happened and if someone is offended by the band name he can simply turn his back off.

What are the future plans for YOTH IRIA ?

Our future plans are to release a full length-album in 2020 and if possible to make some live shows around the world. 

The last words are yours ! Thanks for your time !

Thanks for the great interview and your support.
Metal Magic Freedom & Non Serviam.