Tuesday, December 13, 2022

INTERVIEW SKOGENS RYMD ART (ALESSIA BRUSCO)

In the vastness of the internet I found the great, atmospheric pictures of Alissa Brusco, who distributes her art under the label "Skogens Rymd Art". But read for yourself what she has to say.

------------------------------

Hello, please tell the readers of the Systematic Desensitization Zine more about yourself. Who are you, what do you do besides painting, where do you live and so on?

Hi, I’m Alessia, going under the name Skogens Rymd (roughly translated as “The space of the forest”) on Instagram and Facebook. Born and raised in north of Italy, I moved to Sweden about six years ago and I live near the Baltic Sea in the south of the country. I studied medieval culture and Scandinavian literature at the university of Genova. In the last years I’ve been working as a kennel assistant and dog sitter/walker, as well as baker for a while. I love to be in contact with nature and animals so I don’t regret deciding to give up a possible career in teaching/researching for more practical and down to earth jobs. It has helped me against anxiety and so on.

I find your pictures very appealing. What inspired you to start painting? At what age did you start?

I started to paint for real quite “late”, after moving to Sweden and thanks to the massive impact of the nature and the life here in the countryside. So let’s say five-six years ago when I was about 26 years old.

I’ve always enjoyed to draw and paint for fun as a kid and teenager, but for several reasons I didn’t attend the art school. 

Are there particular artists who have inspired you? Some pictures remind me of Theodor Kittelsen. And are there any artists, well-known, whether old masters or contemporary, whether well-known or brand new or unknown, that you would like to recommend?

Yes, you named him! Kittelsen is of course a big source of inspiration. I came in contact with his art thanks to Burzum like so many of us, I think. 

Among many, I love John Bauer, Liljefors, Friedrich, Munch and Remedios Varo as well, even if their style is quite different. At the same time I dig a lot cave painting and petroglyphs, and mediaeval art (one artist I’d like to name is Simone Martini). Speaking about contemporary art, Christopher Rådlund was a Swedish/Norwegian painter, unluckily gone way too soon some months ago. And Robert Ryan from Ireland. 

Do you paint landscapes directly from nature, do you stand in nature with a tripod? Or do you paint from photos or from memory or fictitious landscapes from your head?

I’ve never painted en plein air. I like to be at home, especially in the evening or at night. I usually take photos when I’m out in nature and I use them as reference. Same with pictures online or landscapes out of imagination. 

Do you get into a special mood when you paint? Do you need silence or do you even listen to music? What inspires you or helps you in your creativity?

I don’t need a special mood for painting. I like to sleep, so the only “physical” circumstance is being well rested. I can concentrate both with music, audiobooks, and environment sounds without problem. 

One thing is very important though: my house and work place should possibly be clean. I don’t like to sit down and start a project knowing that maybe there are chores to do. 

As a layman in this regard, I ask what painting techniques you use, colours, brushes ? Oil on canvas, watercolours for example-what do you prefer?

I started to paint with acrylics, then I moved to watercolours, and then to oil on canvas. I like both, watercolours and oil, and I enjoy to move from one technique to another. 

Lately I started to use a palette knife for oil painting, I just bought one and I have fun experimenting with it since I like using oil colours not diluted. 

You have already drawn covers for metal bands and dungeon synth bands, would you like to mention them? Did the bands approach you? And do you listen to metal yourself, which style and bands exactly?

Some bands took contact mostly through Instagram. Sometimes they chose a painting that was already done or commissioned a new artwork. 

To mention some of them: Ofdrykkja, Norrsint, Speigas, Varde, Enisum, Örnatorpet, Isegrimm, Mesarthim, Heidinn, Strof, Tjaktjadalvve, Skuggkonungen and Nurez. It’s such a big honour to be able to collaborate with bands cause I’ve been listening to metal and dungeon synth since I was a teenager. I went through many genres but all times favourites are Ulver, Drudkh, Windir and Agalloch.

You have already had several exhibitions, both alone and together with other artists. Can you tell us something about that? Have they helped you a lot to become better known and to make more contacts?

Being quite shy, it was a little embarrassing in the beginning to be there at vernissage and so on, even if it’s so fun to exhibit my art! I learned to deal with different kind of observers and costumers and I’ve always been amazed by the appreciation and love I got. 

I would say I’m probably most “known” on Instagram or Facebook but, little by little, I’m getting new contacts in real life and people who discover my art by coincidence appreciate it very much. I'm so thankful for that! 

I assume from your pictures that you have a strong connection to nature. Do you like to go hiking, do you spend a lot of time outdoors, in forests? Are there any special places or routes in your area that you can recommend?

Working with dogs and having three pups of my own means I’m out in nature everyday. We live close to the village but at the edge of the woods. It’s wonderful and I don’t mind being quite isolated, compared instead to the lifestyle I had in Italy or when first I lived in another small village here in Sweden, in the beginning. It was quiet and nice but no forest around, just fields, boring in my opinion.

Nature and animals are my favourite things. Every time I meet a wild animal in the forest, I feel thrilled and happy. I like looking at birds that eat at the feeder in the garden, and to spot roe deers at night from my window. Animals have something more and for me they are a manifestation of the spirit of nature.

What do you still wish to achieve with your art? Are there any special ideas, projects or envisaged paintings for the future?

I don’t mind achieving some goals like exhibit in fashionable galleries and so on, of course I’d be extremely thankful and happy if it will happen! I see my art more like an expression of what I like to live around and to experiment with colours. And I like to communicate nice feelings to people that like me love nature and forests.

Speaking about dreams connected to my art, I’d like to expand my contacts and be able to sell more and collect founds for some dog shelters I support, both in Italy and Sweden.

Speaking about projects, I hope for more exhibitions in the future and maybe the release of a picture book, not necessary for kids but something that also adults can enjoy, connected to imagination and mystical nature. 

The last words are yours!

Thanks a lot for these questions and your kindness.