Sunday, June 12, 2022

INTERVIEW MORTUUS INFRADAEMONI (ENGLISH)

"Everything is transient and ends in the last big question, eternal death - but at the same time death is always a door to something different, unknown."  

As I said in my review of the new album (see here), Mortuus Infradaemoni are a very special band with a profound musical aura that is really not ordinary or profane (to cross-reference the pseudonym of one of my interview partners). Just like this interview, I thank the band for the open words, the detailed, interesting musical recommendations and the word (monstrosity) of the year, see the question about social media.

-----------------------------

Hello, first of all congratulations on the strong new album "Inmortuos sum". When I saw that you have a new album out, I was surprised, I had long considered Mortuus Infradaemoni as no longer existing, I think it was the same for some others. What happened after the last album "Imis Avernis" from 2009, that a band comes up with a new album after 13 years is not exactly the rule...  

Profanatitas: Hello Gerald, thank you for the words! You can see how quickly you can be declared dead, if you don't constantly post some trivial information... But it's true, we have never been very communicative. After 'Imis Avernis' it was the same as after the first album; we were always active in the rehearsal room, sometimes more and sometimes less, then unfortunately life or a creative blockage intervened. But we wouldn't have thought that the album would take 13 years... But it has become our most intensive and most powerful work. Big thanks to Iron Bonehead for the realisation, especially for the possibility to release it on vinyl! The double LP is out since today (8 June), and being the record lover that I am, I couldn't be happier with it - awesome thing!

A lot has happened in the black metal scene in 13 years. Are you interested in new releases, do you follow what's happening or do you rather live in your own cosmos and listen to older stuff? Which bands and records can you recommend?

Nathaniel: I'm not really interested in the scene or what's going on musically in the world. I still like to remember how I used to look forward to the "Rock Hard" every month, read the record reviews first and then bought the 1's (absolutely bad review)...hahaha, those were the days. That also includes "Wehrmacht" with albums like "Shark Attack" or "Biermächt", totally brilliant band, but never got more than a 2... Well, it's been a long time... Joking aside. What was cool back then is still cool today. Off the top of my head: Incubus, Carcass, or Disharmonic Orchestra (does anyone still know them?), the first Pungent Stench, "Misanthropy" by Protector, one of the most underrated bands ever. Nazxul must not be missing and must have: Darkspace II! And of course the old norge connection, but only the old ones! What should not be missing in any record collection: "Blood Fire Death"!

P: We have never been very interested in a scene, because there was and still is too much insubstantial stuff. Apart from that, as far as I'm concerned, I've always had my own views on 'black metal', and I don't have to share them with anyone because it's private and personal. And if I don't have anything eminently important to say, then I'd rather shut the fuck up, that's how I see it. That may sound pompous, but from the beginning we wanted to let our music speak for us, because it says more than human words can. In this respect, we can't and don't want to comment on what has happened over the last 13 years. But that doesn't mean that music doesn't enter our little cosmos, because black metal is not synonymous with the 'black metal scene'. Band & record recommendations? Hoho, nothing better than that! I am a music addict. I've left out the old classics and big names and taken off the blinkers, but instead I've put together a few great records, some of them lesser known (but no less important to me), across the music world and the decades: Horrors of the Black Museum - Gold from the Sea / Kandor - Sigillum Sanctum Fraternitatis A:.A:. / Ejecutor - Maléfico soldado de Lucifer (Cass.EP) / Gorhoth - Honorvm / Black Grail - Demo 2021 / Baal Zebuth - We are Satanas / Nordlys - Reisen til den hoyes hall (Demo) / S.V.E.S.T. - Veritas diaboli manet in aeternum (EP) / Nazxul - Totem / Lord of the Command - both demos / StarGazer - Promo 1998 / Nyarlathotep - Nygturah et Shyutem (Demo) / Disörder - Beyond the Walls of Sleep (Demo) / Thergothon - Fhtagn-Nagh Yog-Sothoth (Demo) / Etnocidio - Promo 2006 / Zuul - 2009 Demo / Reverend Bizarre - Live at 'The Temple', Dublin 2006 / Univers Zero - Heresy / The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe / Tangerine Dream - Tangram / M87 - Noctilucent Threnody / 'Dead Man'- Soundtrack (by Neil Young) / Wytchfynde - The Awakening / Christian Mistress - To your Death / Pharaoh - Bury the Light / Mekong Delta - In a Mirror Darkly / Hexx - Morbid Reality / Extermination Angel - Invaders (Demo) / Zubirun - Maximum Hell Overdose / Trepanación - 'Libidinosa Profanación' & 'Reflejo Vomitivo'. I can go on like this forever, hehe! Have fun searching and listening. 

You have already found your own little niche, I think. On the one hand, there are a lot of traditional, cold black metal elements, but on the other hand, your music is quite different due to the versatility, the sometimes overlength and the sometimes more unconventional structures. How do you see that?

P: Pretty much the same, we play 'Mortuus-Infradaemoni-metal'... haha! The 'traditional, cold black metal elements' function - probably rather unconsciously - as the basic framework, as that is obviously the music that has shaped us the most and touched us the most intensely. Everything else results from our musical friction points, contrasts and similarities, without us having to change much when a song is created. Our music 'writes' itself, so to speak.

N: I can only agree, it just comes "from the gut", without much fuss...

Tell us about the great artwork. Was it done especially for your album, who is the artist?

P: The calligraphic artwork & logos were done by me, the two great paintings (front & back cover for the LP version, inner image & back cover for the CD version) were done by Rodrigo Pereira Salvatierra from Chile with oil on canvas exclusively for the album. The communication with him was unfortunately a bit difficult as he is probably a similar hermit like us, and the main cover also looks a bit different than originally conceived, but it exudes exactly the mood of the music - strange and enigmatic. It couldn't have turned out any better. The man is a fantastic artist!

Does it actually bother you that Mortuus Infradaemoni was somehow often labelled as "ex-musicians of Lunar Aurora" by the listeners because of your past with Lunar Aurora? Especially since the music is stylistically similar, actually all Lunar Aurora fans should be able to relate to you, only the last Lunar Aurora album was a bit different (although also very good).

P: Well, 'ex-musician of XY' is for me more a description of condition than a sign of quality - someone was probably too lazy to deal with our music and then pulled the Lunar Aurora label on it. When I read the reviews at that time, I was more bothered by the fact that we were sometimes called the 'Lunar Aurora side project', which is nonsense because it was badly researched, since at that time both of us hadn't been with Lunar Aurora for a while. Our past there certainly helped us to open one or the other door here and there (also with listeners probably), on the other hand we have been Mortuus Infradaemoni since the beginning and not Lunar Aurora version number 2. The music of both bands differs in my opinion in many points, but everyone has his own views. 

N: I don't care about the "ex", I just get annoyed being called a "Lunar Aurora offshoot". The only thing we have in common with Lunar Aurora is that we were both on Cold Dimensions. I would just be interested to know who we would be compared to if it wasn't known that we played with Lunar Aurora.

You don't have a Facebook page, which I find basically very sympathetic, especially in times when even alleged black metal bands beg for "likes" and organise competitions on such platforms. The fact that you don't reach some potential listeners through this abstinence is something you consciously accept, I assume.

P: Well, some people can't quite understand that I'm 'so 80s' or '90s', haha! But I'm generally quite an analogue person. Could also be called backward-looking, which seems to be exclusively negative these days, but I don't care. What you describe ('likes' etc.), I just don't understand, because by such behaviour a possible 'black metal ideology' propagated by these bands (if such a thing really exists) is led ad absurdum, so I ask myself what they actually want to represent. (What we represent, I can tell you exactly: listen to our music and think your own mind! Nothing more needs to be said). This excessive amount of self-promotion seems obsessive to me and reminds me more of the music machinery like pop music or whatever you want to call it, where it's not about art, expression and individuality but about consumption and 'sameness'. In any case, it has nothing to do with an 'underground spirit' any more. The less I know about a band, the more intensively I can approach the music because nothing distracting is flying around. Another example: the other day I got hold of a flyer for a CD release box of a notorious Norwegian one-man-project, with an album cover puzzle as a bonus... I mean, what the fuck?! I can only laugh out loud, or not when I think about it. Transfer that to the early Norwegian 90s, heads would literally roll! I know we should look at things in a less narrow-minded way, but I really don't understand that any more.

That's also why I generally reject these so-called 'social media', because in my opinion they are mainly channels for people who otherwise have no life. Some people might actually use these platforms purely for the sake of information, and not for excessive self-promotion or because Icandumpmyintellectualshittherebecausenoonewantstolistentomein reallifeandIhavenofriends, but I don't want to be part of it and will not be. Sorry for the rant, but I'm not much of a people person, and there's a reason for that. Back to the topic: what we really credit Patrick from Iron Bonehead for is that he doesn't put any pressure on us in this respect (it's certainly different with other labels!), even if the lack of a Facebook or Instagram page on our part definitely reduces the sales opportunities for our album, because nowadays hardly anything runs without this massive internet presence and we therefore probably run a bit (or quite a bit) under the radar. But we still do some promotion on our own behalf, the 'old way' so to speak, with flyers and word of mouth and stuff. So guys, check out our Bandcamp page, it's good too! Hahaha! 

I found an older interview with you in which you didn't exclude live performances. Has a lot happened in this respect, have you got session members? And is there anything coming up in the future?

P: We have played a few gigs since 2006, which have all been great in their own way (although I don't particularly enjoy playing live). Sindar from Lunar Aurora always supported us on bass and second voice, it was very cool. I don't think we'll play live again though, it's been eleven years since our last gig, and a drummer's body doesn't get any younger.... our songs, on the other hand, more strenuous!

N: We had a few gigs, it was really cool, especially in Arnhem the "afterwards" (Gehenna rules!!), we come from the deepest Bavaria and are therefore quite hard drinking ("mia fadrong hoid wos") (that means "we can drink a lot" in Bavarian dialect - author's note), as well as Gehenna, it was really cool.... We probably won't play live any more, the last years of annoyance (you know what I mean?) have made sure of that.

I read in a recent interview that at least one of you is very into Lovecraft. What is so fascinating about his stories, even after all this time? And which is your favourite tale? "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward"? "Shadows over Innsmouth"? I think "The Whisperer in the Dark" in particular is very good in terms of building suspense....

P: What's fascinating about it is precisely that, 'after all this time': these stories are timeless. They are wondrous, terrifying, confusing, colossal, an inexhaustible source of inspiration. I will spare myself highlighting individual stories, my 'why' would go beyond the scope here. What I also appreciate is the utter rapture of some of Clark Ashton Smith's stories. Literally out of this world.

"Inmortuus sum" would have to mean "I am immortal", if my old Latin skills don't fail me. Is that a good title for the subject matter of the lyrics?

P: Our spelling 'inmortuos sum' is a little modified, but in essence it means something like 'I am not dead'; the album cover can also be related to this: everything is transient and leads to the last big question, eternal death - but at the same time death is always a door to something else, something unknown. Basically, looking back, both of our texts have always been permeated by this, only in different forms and expressions.

The last words belong to you!

P: Thank you for the interview and your interest! The next album is already in the works, it will be released in 15 years... hahaha!