Wednesday, May 24, 2023

INTERVIEW HAMVAK

"Hamvak allowed me to break free from the musical boundaries I had previously felt." 

Hamvak is one of the most promising bands of the German underground. The debut album " Maelstrom of abhorrent incantations" (review here) is a true monster of a musical work that pulls you inevitably and without mercy into the abyss. I spoke with Dávid Vadkerti-Tóth, the factotum and mastermind behind Hamvak.

---------------------------------------

When did you form Hamvak and under what circumstances? According to Metal-Archives Hamvak is the successor band of Solus, who were much more atmospheric. What was the reason for the end of Solus and the beginning with Hamvak? Do you see Hamvak as the successor band of Solus, or did someone just put it down that way at Metal Archives?

In 2015 I made the decision to change the project name from Solus to Hamvak. This name change was the result of an artistic evolution and a desire to take my music in a new direction. So Hamvak is actually the direct successor band of Solus. The reason for the end of Solus and the beginning of Hamvak was that the musical direction and concept of the band had changed.I had already released some music under the name Solus, but as time went on I realized that my new musical ideas no longer matched the original vision of Solus. It felt like I was limiting myself in my creative expression. I felt the urge to create something new and evolve musically. The new songs I wrote under the name Solus were very different in direction and atmosphere from what I was personally striving for. I felt artistically limited and felt the need to redefine and express my musical vision. For this reason, I came up with the idea of continuing under a new name, Hamvak, and continuing my musical development.

The name Hamvak was born as an expression of this change. It represents the idea of transformation and the pursuit of individual freedom in music. Hamvak allowed me to break free from the musical boundaries I had previously felt. By creating Hamvak, I was able to better express my artistic identity and develop musically. It was an important step for me that allowed me to take my music to a new level.

The songs that can be heard on the Hamvak demo were created spontaneously and without much thought. They were the result of an intuitive creative phase in which I freed myself from any restrictions and simply let my creativity run free. These songs reflect the beginning of a new musical journey and show my personal development as a musician.

Talking about "Maelstrom of abhorrent incantations", what inspired you during the creative process? Certain bands, situations or worlds of thought? It is a truly dark work that pulls the listener into the abyss, so the album title fits perfectly!

During the creative process of "Maelstrom of Abhorrent Incantations" I was inspired by various influences. I was inspired by bands like Bölzer, Incantation, Morbid Angel, Teitanblood and Portal. These bands have a dark and intense atmosphere that impressed me a lot. However, it was important to me not to just copy the music of these bands, but to put my own vision and creativity into the songs. I wanted to create a unique atmosphere that would captivate the listener and take them on a dark journey.

How do you see the development from the 3-track demo of 2017 to the album? I think the demo was good as well, however it was a whole notch more conventional, I think.

The evolution from demo to album was a significant evolution in many ways. While the demo was appreciated by many, I can understand why you feel it was more conventional compared to the album, but compared to my previous music, it was still a step in a less conventional direction.

The album represents a big step forward in terms of complexity and sound quality. I consciously worked to deliver a more layered and sophisticated musical performance. The songs on the album are more complex in structure and contain a wider range of musical elements. I made an effort to add unexpected twists and nuances to the music. This allowed me to realize my vision in a deeper and more expressive way. I also made great strides in terms of sound quality. By working on mixing and mastering the album, I was able to ensure that the sound was clearer, more balanced, and more dynamic. It was important for me to achieve a high-quality sound that would showcase the intensity and atmosphere of the music in the best possible way.

The bass seems to be relatively important to you, doesn't it? It's rare to hear bass in such detail in death or black metal releases.

I find that bass is often underestimated in the metal genre, both in the perception of the listener and in the mixing process. Often the bass is kept more in the background and not treated as prominently as other instruments. But for me personally, the bass has an essential role in enhancing the sound and atmosphere of my music.

Especially in the genres of death and black metal, it is rare to hear the bass so detailed and present. It is a conscious decision of mine to clearly emphasize the bass in my releases and give it enough space in the mix. I find that the bass adds depth and energy to the songs, making an important contribution to the overall sound.

What are the lyrics on the debut album about?

It's about different themes, for example death, occultism and a connection to shamanism. I also incorporated a bit of historical references into the lyrics. However, my goal was not to create a conceptual album, but rather to make the deeper meaning of the lyrics audible.

The lyrics on the album do not have a direct coherence to each other. Instead, I focused on creating an atmosphere and mood that harmonized with the musical compositions. Death is a recurring theme in the lyrics, and I have explored different aspects and perspectives of death. Occultism and shamanic elements are also present and contribute to the dark and mysterious atmosphere of the lyrics. It was important to me to allow a certain complexity and freedom of interpretation in the lyrics. Every listener can create his own meaning and connection to the lyrics, as they are deliberately kept open for different interpretations.

According to Metal Archives you play in parallel in other bands like Earth Plague or Ghoul Temple, two-man bands, and your comrade-in-arms is probably at home in Hungary. How do you rehearse or create the music ? Do you send soundfiles back and forth? Or do you meet in person from time to time? And you used to play in a band from South Korea, how did that happen? What other bands and projects have you played in?

Yes, that's right, I play in parallel in other bands like Earth Plague and Ghoul Temple, both are two-man bands where my fellow Patrik and I work together. We meet in person, usually about every six months, to work together on our projects. These face-to-face meetings allow us to exchange ideas, develop song structures, and discuss details. Additionally, we take advantage of file sharing to create our music. We send each other sound files, demos, ideas and recordings over the internet. This allows us to collaborate and push our musical vision even across great distances. We can develop our ideas and work on new songs this way, even if we can't meet in person.

As for the band from South Korea that I played with, the contact came through the founder of the band. He had designed the logo for my previous band Solus and Earth Plague. He asked me if I could record his songs for his EP since he didn't have recording facilities at home. I was a session musician there. As far as I know, the project is no longer active.

Apart from Earth Plague and Ghoul Temple, I have played in many different bands in the past. For example, as a singer I was in Malediction from Hungary (2013-2014) and ZementMord from Stuttgart (2022-2023). There were other bands and projects I participated in, but it is difficult to list them all. Each of these bands and projects has influenced me in different ways.

In addition, I am currently working on three other projects, namely Oltár, Kapu and Savage Rites. I can't say more about these projects at the moment, because they are still in the preparation phase and further details have not been announced yet. 

If I have researched correctly, you are originally from Hungary. Which region are you from, how would you describe it and which regions and sights would you recommend to someone who wants to visit Hungary?

Right, I'm originally from south-west Hungary and I've been living in Germany since 2014. If someone wants to visit Hungary, I would recommend the city of Pécs and the Mecsek Mountains in addition to the well-known places like Lake Balaton and Budapest. Pécs is a historical city with a rich culture and architecture. There are many interesting sights there, such as the Pécs Cathedral and the Zsolnay Ceramics Museum.

And of course you should try the Hungarian pálinka (fruit brandy) and wines, which are famous for their quality and variety. Hungary has a long tradition of winemaking, and a wine tasting in one of the wine regions such as Eger, Tokaj or Villány is an experience not to be missed.

What was your musical socialization like? With which bands of hard music did you first come into contact? Which bands followed and what do you like to listen to at the moment or in general? What are your all-time favorites?

My musical socialization started with the TV music channels where I listened to all kinds of stuff. When I was about 10 years old, nu metal was very popular, and that influenced me a lot as a kid. The first real metal bands were shown to me by my cousin, including Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer and many others.

My all-time favorites are Bathory, Darkthrone, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Death, Possessed, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Tormentor, (old) Destruction, (old) Kreator, Sodom, Slayer, Burzum and many more. Meanwhile, I'm very open to different genres and artists, including ambient and experimental music. I also like to listen to "war metal" or better bestial black metal, such as Death Worship, Revenge, Teitanblood and Ritual Genocide. I am also a big fan of Bölzer and Portal. Depending on my mood and preferences, I also like to listen to bands like Bohren & the Club of Gore and others. My musical preferences are diverse and I like to be inspired by different genres and artists. 

If we now come to the Hungarian metal scene, Tormentor, Sear Bliss, Thy Catafalque and Witcher spontaneously come to my mind. What is your opinion about these bands? Which others, whether well-known or deep underground, would you like to recommend? In the course of research for the interview I came across the long-established Hungarian metal bands Ossian, Moby Dick and Pokolgép, which have been around since the early or mid-80s (or have reunited in the meantime) and have probably had considerable success. Do you know these bands, are at least the names of these bands known to everyone in the scene?


The Hungarian metal scene is quite small, but there are some great bands. I am familiar with bands like Tormentor, Sear Bliss, Thy Catafalque and Witcher and I appreciate them a lot. For example, I will see Tormentor live at the Insane Hellride Festival in Budapest soon. Roland from the band Witcher I have known for over 10 years, as he played as a session bassist at an early Earth Plague concert.

Apart from the mentioned bands, I also recommend other Hungarian metal bands like Evil Conqueror, Os, Tomb Portal, Zurkulet, Lepra, Dunkelheit, Ahriman, Tyrant Goatgaldrakona and many more. It's definitely worth taking a look at the Hungarian underground metal scene, as there are some gems to be discovered there.

You live in Stuttgart, what's happening in the scene there, which clubs, bars and performance possibilities for bands are there? Are there any special local bands that you can recommend from Stuttgart and Swabia?

Stuttgart has a lively music scene with various clubs, bars and venues. Some well-known locations are Universum, Juha West and Schwarze Keiler. However, I personally don't visit clubs often because the bands that interest me rarely perform in Stuttgart. Still, I can recommend the local band Hereza, which makes great music in my opinion.

What's next for Hamvak, any plans or ideas? And is it an option to perform Hamvak's music live with guest musicians?

I'm currently gathering ideas for Hamvak's second album, and also keeping myself busy with other projects. At the moment I have no plans to recruit live musicians for Hamvak, as I would like to focus more on the next material.

The last words belong to you!

Thank you very much for the opportunity of this interview. I am very grateful for your interest and support. Thank you!